Saturday 17 October 2009

Halloween 1904 .... Ella's Mirror....

Let me tell you a special story. Come on; bring your chair closer, listen carefully and please open your eyes....... Your senses are important here in AngelJane’s World........

My name is Ella Wilson, I am extremely excited because it’s the 31st October in the year 1904 ... I have been told it is All Hallows’ Eve and if I really, really want to then this would be the very evening I should sit in a darkened room, look into a mirror to catch a glimpse of my future husband... The very idea makes me feel utterly flabbergasted and the very thought this could be possible, fills me with immense happiness....
You see my dream for the past two years has been marriage... ok, I know... I know... first I have to find a partner, but for me this dream feel’s a million miles away....

Leaving work this evening I feel as if I have been handed a huge jack pot prize of money. Feeling hopeful with advice and information given, I have carefully stored in my swirling mind the list of things I will need to help with the evening ahead.... My first stop before catching the tram home, is to pop into the nearest shop and obtain a bottle of wine just to help me relax for the evening ahead. Within the little shop I also spy a big juicy pumpkin and I eagerly decide to make a Jack-o-lantern. A candle enclosed would help illuminate the darkness that I would need to sit in this evening where I will be hoping and wishing with all my heart to meet my future husband. The very thought seems nigh on impossible.

Two hours have passed. lights off, I find myself sitting in my favourite armchair; relaxing into the plush upholstery I admire the big round pumpkins scary face, watching the candle twinkle from inside those nightmarish eyes.... Its quiet, dark and cold outside. The front door had been knocked countless times but this evening is mine. I need to stay calm, relaxed and warm to the fact... I am going to see my true love, my sweetheart... tonight.

I have 3 more hours to wait till midnight so I pour another glass of deep dark red wine; it hits the spot as it always does. My mind slides away to the grey light where I see myself and my past... I sincerely hope that’s allowed before a future vision... I see my loneliness, I see my single wish for a family and its perfect importance, I know the past has not been good to me but at least I work and I have a place to stay. I tell myself off... repeating the need to concentrate on the good bits of my life; I also know anything extra would be the bonus I have waited for. Maybe this dream is for idiots or for the fools who wish their lives away.... who in their right mind would wait till midnight to see a glimpse of someone they don’t even know... I smile, my grin widening. I know the answer to that question. I also know it would be a fool who did not search out what they seek. I personally need to know the answer... good, bad or indifferent.

Pouring another glass of delicious wine, the delicate aroma hits my nostrils... I see the time is 11.55pm; I need to set the scene. I tightly grip my wine... looking deep into the long mirror, which is solidly placed on the ground before me ... Jack-o-lantern is flickering gently on the little wine table to my right and the air has suddenly become inexplicably cooler... it’s deathly quiet and I can smell apple cinnamon, not sure why as I don’t recall buying any. I unexpectedly hear a ticking clock and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, I don’t possess one... Why?... because I can’t stand the constant reminder that life is rushing us by.... I wonder if the new sights, sounds and smells have something to do with the magic I'm about to see.... Still eagerly looking in the mirror, I see fog appear. The fog is swirling around, its denseness going from thick to thin, it abruptly starts to clear ... Stretching, craning my neck forwards, I know the time is imminent the fog is disappearing but I'm surprised when the odd swirl blows towards me from the mirror .... Is that possible I sensibly ask myself, I wasn't told fog would penetrate my front room and there’s something else my body is beginning to feel strange.... the hair on my arms and neck stand erect. A feeling deep within my stomach's cavity, turns over and over again; I’ve felt this feeling before... its fear... The fear begins it steady climb upwards, towards my chest but I still stare hard into the mirror, I don’t under any circumstances want to miss my loved one... I know as clear as day that something is about to happen, the room has started to turn. and wait... the mirror is again clearing.

I see something... moving forwards slightly, needing a better look.... Who-ever it is on the other side is also pushing to catch a glimpse of me... Heart singing for joy now... I know I'll see him shortly. Feeling irritated, the fog re-appears... the mirror becomes dark. I’m almost standing to see who is with-in the confines of the highly polished glass; I can hear something, someone... he’s calling my name.... “Ella, I can't see you, I need you...come closer, I need to see you.... Come to the Mirror Ella please come..." Trembling I Stand, feeling a heart full of love I nervously step forwards... I hear a gurgling noise... a sucking sound as I step up to the glass.

Through the green light I make out the outline of his skull, he's there, my loved one... his arms held out towards me, quickly thrusting my own arms forwards I’m horrified to see them disappear into the mirror; the glass gives way like water.... Then before I scream, I feel myself noisily sucked into the dark green murky water, like a loose weed... gone.... gone-forever with my love on the other side of the mirror in his twilight world of fog....

From the other side of the mirror I determinedly look back... In my absolute frantic, horror-filled mind, I see my Jack-o-lantern as it gently twinkles back at me. I observe my upturned wine glass with its contents drenching the carpet crimson. But the scariest, most frightening sight of all.... is the wet, bloated man waving at me from my favourite armchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment