Monday 6 June 2022

Progression...

 


Doesn't It feel good to finish what you start? I finished Chapter 4; and it feels like a real win. And even though I set a deadline that passed... all I can say is that things happen, life takes over, and you do your best.

My novel is set in the early 1900s, and spans 3 generations. It didn't start out like that, it simply developed and progressed, almost on its own.

Initially I wanted to write a short story, because I was taking a break from a fantasy novel that I'd been working on for the longest time. I’d been questioning myself over the length of time it was taking. I felt I’d made it complicated, and maybe that’s why it was taking forever. I wondered if a break would be the answer. I have many ideas, and lots of characters on the back-burner, waiting for their stories.

So, I’m happy to report that my New Work in Progress, is coming along fine. It starts with a Prologue set in 1996, and to-date there are 4 completed chapters.

I have an outline, and for that I use my chapters titles, which keep me on track.

The protagonist is Alma, Sarah Essie, who is born into a wealthy family. The family live in a mansion called, Arden Manor, and they’re lucky to be able to afford hired-help, which includes Rachel, the housekeeper, who has a 10 year old daughter, Isabelle.  The novel is mainly about their relationship, lives and stories.

Isabelle, is many things, and develops and unwinds, sharing stories, around fear, failure, hate, rage, deceit, jealousy, obsession and worse, much worse… and, as the years go by, her jealousy of Alma, knows no bounds. 

Each character, and there are a few, have their own story, and these are shared as the novel unfolds.

Have a wonderful week, and progress as you go!

 

MJ Ewen    


No comments:

Post a Comment