Friday 24 June 2022

I Remember...

Image from Pinterest

The dark room, filled with cobwebs, was cold, ice hung from its windows, and as I lay frozen, wet and shivering on the floor, I felt disorientated. I Instantly became alert to the creaking door at the top of the stairs, initially it was being opened slowly, then suddenly, it flew open. She stood staring at me through the wooden grab-rail. Seeing I was awake, she flew down the steps, screaming, grabbed my wrists, and held on claw-like, as she roughly taped them together. Breathing heavy, and with a strange aroma about her, she glanced sideways, and that's when I noticed the plastic sheeting, lying on the floor. 

Terror filled my soul. I knew she was going to kill me. 

I began pleading for my life, and asked what was happening, who was she, and why was she doing this? 

I'll never forget her response, or the dull, dead, flat tone she used to answer. She simply said, 

"Because I can".

(A developing scene from my latest WIP, The Alma Essie Story)  

MJ Ewen 

No comments:

Post a Comment