Sunday 4 April 2010

Domestic Service & Liaisons................

Fri 2/04/10. The meeting.......

Up bright and early the hours dragged. I waited impatiently to meet Jake at the hotel reception.

Without smiling “Have you brought all of your belongings? We won’t be returning” he declared.

“Yes all here”

We both helped the porter carry stuff out to the car.

Pushing the packed boot down Jake assumed driving position. Neither one of us spoke. Deep in my own private thoughts I contemplated Jake might want to have some Shhhhh time whilst we weaved our way through the little Spanish town resort.

Jake eventually broke the heavy silence.

“Crystal, the family’s eager to meet you” I watched his knuckles whiten as both hands gripped the leather steering wheel.

“I’m also eager to commence my assignment” I reported.

“Good, good... It’s now 11.45am; we will arrive approximately 1.30pm. The family are staying inland, at a beautiful villa not to far from the coastline. I’ve already made arrangements for you to stay over at a more local hotel this evening... you’ll return to the villa tomorrow”

“Could I not stay tonight” I curiously questioned.

“Definitely not, this is the only way we could do this without stirring up suspicion, also don’t forget, the senators lady thinks this is an interview, so we have to have breathing space after the meet to discuss your suitability for the post”

Jake’s eyes didn’t leave the road.

“Of course” I fell silent. I had so much to learn, so much to experience.

Jake sensed my nerves he semi-smiled.

“You’ll be fine, don’t worry, treat this like a normal interview and above all remember your going to be ok” a sideways glance produced a comical wink which allowed me to breath a sigh of relief.

Turning into a triple gated entrance I knew we were about to arrive.

The site that greeted tired travelled eyes was awe inspiring. The manor-style residence was exceptional, its position amidst tranquil countryside boasted breathtaking countryside views.

Stepping out of the car I observed on the horizon I could just glimpse a hint of the sea. My nostrils twitched immediately as I smelt the sweet aroma from the surrounding wine groves. The property appeared to be distributed around a breath taking central courtyard with a magnificent fountain; the garden surrounding this impressive house had an almost Italian feel to it which had obviously been meticulously maintained. Walking through the already open wide double doors, I saw the internal lay out of the house was designed like so many of the Majorcan designers did for this era, offering a beautiful Spanish feel with large inviting rooms boasting traditional designs.

I quietly sucked my breath inwards has I observed an outstanding pool area from behind, floor to ceiling windows, which were slightly tinted a darker colour its job presumably to reflect the sun. I could see peaceful and tranquil surroundings and from my perspective I knew this was going to be appreciated.

From above the double staircase, I heard loud squeals of laughter from what sounded like two running children, followed closely by protective parents reprimanding them to be careful on the stairs.

Looking up I watched a family descend the white and mahogany staircase. I couldn’t help thinking; these people looked just like celebrities. Both plunged towards me with hands warmly outstretched. After introductions I was joyfully introduced to two gorgeous children. Max aged 9yrs and Felicia aged 7yrs. We all sat down when a member of staff arrived from a facing room with a tea-trolley decked with beautiful fine bone china crockery, each piece delicately decorated with pink and blue flowers. The wafer thin sandwiches and thick cuts of cake adorned the trolley and looked scrumptious. The same member of staff was then asked to take the children off whilst their parents spoke privately with me.

The interview was pleasant but thorough... I was asked about everything and anything. I was asked to produce all my documentation as well as references and qualifications. I was advised immediately that phone calls were to be made as well as fax’s sent imminently, due to the urgent nature of the post. The senator’s lady Kristina advised me she was looking forward to having someone close to her on board. I proceeded to ask questions about the children and their routines before long, an hour and a half had passed. The senator left the room to answer an urgent call, as he opened the door I witnessed Jake standing outside looking in.

Lady Kristina smiled at my visual observation; she said she liked that in a member of staff because that meant they were taking their job seriously.... She spent the next ten minutes talking to me about being fearful for her family’s safety due to her husband’s position.

The door flew open when in gushed two gorgeous, giggling children who lovingly flung their arms around their mother. It was obvious they had a wonderful warm relationship.

Kristina stood apologising for her husband’s disappearance then asked me if I wanted to have a look around the villa with her and the children. On the pool patio, I inhaled the sweet scent from the ripened grapes whilst Kristina babbled on about the role and duties expected from a nanny/maid she informed me I would be expected to accompany the family on days out and a little light cooking would be required just for the children. I was also advised I would have time out to myself on a regular basis but this would be confirmed on positive feedback from my previous employers. I couldn’t help but smile, having the secret buried so deep within my soul made me feel extremely powerful, still.... I was very conscious of scanning the surrounding perimeter as I knew only to well even at this stage I was working.

Back inside curled up with the children reading ‘Winnie the pooh’ I was approached by the senator who advised me it was time to return to the hotel. Kristina looked at me warmly and thanked me for my time... slipping her arm around her husband, she advised me I would be called later once the information had been received. The children jumped from the sofa, scampering off to the kitchen. I thanked them both kindly just as Jake arrived to drive me back to the hotel.

Leaving the Villa, I knew in my heart of hearts more then anything I had to return... I was needed... this was going to be the start of a daring adventure. Jake drove silently towards the triple gates. From a distance I observed a handsome man standing close to the tall gate posts...

“Who’s that?”

“That’s Eric, the senior security officer; he’s waiting for the gate’s security officer to return on site”

“Why didn’t I see security when I arrived?”

“I was wondering the very same thing” Jake said

The electronic gates hissed gently as they opened... Eric tipped his head slowly smiling at me...

“Does he know who I am?” I whispered through clenched lips.

“No, like I said... there’s only the senator and I who know who our protective service agents are”

“So there’s more then one?”

“All you need to know Crystal is your own position, you're role is going to be very important just like this particular assignment”

Jake drove quickly towards the hotel... before he left me at reception he carefully whispered you have your phone, make sure it’s on... I will be calling with news in a few hours and again before I checked in he was gone....

No comments:

Post a Comment