Saturday 14 April 2012

Franz Kafka...


Had I wrote so much earlier...  I know as if by magic, I would have deepened the noise in my head and embraced the senses I was born with.... Author Jane Ewen

I tell myself it’s quite important to regularly find out something new and interesting about our literary world. Today I read something that would be one of my worst nightmares. (Metamorphosis)

I learned about a guy called Franz Kafka Born: 3/07/1883 ~ Died: 3/06/1924 age 40years, 11months the eldest of six children. He died from starvation; sadly he was reported to have an eating disorder as well as tuberculosis.  It’s reported that Kafka’s writing didn’t really attract much attention until after his death.  On his death he’d requested that his literary friend destroy all his written work, diaries, notebooks, letters and documents. This request was ignored and although frustratingly there was no order to Kafka’s works because quite often he would start writing in the middle of a note book, they were published.  http://www.kafka-franz.com/kafka-Biography.htm

One of his earlier works a novella called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis was published in 1915. It begins with a traveling salesman, Gregor Samsa, waking to find himself transformed into a monstrous insect-like creature. It’s interesting and worth noting that the characters in The Metamorphosis appear to be based on himself and family...

When I read that he’d written a letter to his father in response to his father asking why he was always so afraid of him, I was amazed to see that there were 103 pages which Franz wrote to his emotionally abusive father... It reminded me of the letter I wrote to my mother, and I recall thinking, I sincerely hope he got the healing closure that so many of us need when we’ve been treated badly... without thought or love, made to feel totally inadequate, unlovable and uncertain. It seriously damages children so much, and takes years to come to terms with, that’s if we ever do... Instantly I felt a connection to Franz.  http://www.kafka-franz.com/KAFKA-letter.htm

"The tremendous world I have inside my head. But how (to) free myself and free it without being torn to pieces. And a thousand times (I’d) rather be torn to pieces than retain it in me or bury it. That indeed, is why I am here, that is quite clear to me." ( F. Kafka Quote )

The people who are no longer here on our beautiful planet and the ones I’d really like to meet... I have to say I think, Franz Kafka would definitely be on my too-meet  list.

No comments:

Post a Comment